WhatsApp Previous articleLimerick parking free from threeNext articleMinister pledges to improve services at 5B Rose Rushehttp://www.limerickpost.ieCommercial Features and Arts Editor at Limerick Post Print Email Twitter Facebook A formal (re) launch will take place early 2016HAPPY new year to the Belltable Arts Centre. This busy film, visual art, theatre and professional development venue is set to abandon the cold salutation of No. 69 O’Connell Street and function again under its historic title.Under a new service agreement with Limerick City and Arts Council, Lime Tree Theatre will continue management and programming there in 2016, trading under ‘Belltable’.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up In a statement released this morning, Thursday 26, we are told that the new Belltable will host a wide range of arts events that will extend and complement the programme at Lime Tree Theatre.The refurbished former Credit Union building (for years the then adjacent benevolent owner Sarsfield CU rented it for £1 annually to City Council for arts performance) will provide office space, rehearsal space, hot-desks and administration services “to emerging, mid-career and established artists who want to create, develop and make new work”.“This exciting revival of this significant venue means that it will once again be at the centre of arts development and practice in the city,” observed Sheila Deegan, Limerick Arts Officer and of #limerick2020. Linkedin Advertisement NewsCommunityBringing back the BelltableBy Rose Rushe – November 26, 2015 943
ABC News(SEATTLE) — A Seattle-area nursing home that became the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in Washington could face $611,000 in fines and possible loss of government funding for violating federal guidelines put in place to stop the spread of infection, according to a letter sent to the facility by federal investigators.Life Care Center of Kirkland was the scene of one of the first and most-deadly coronavirus outbreaks last month, with 81 residents infected and 34 deaths.Federal inspectors who visited the facility March 16 found “serious deficiencies” that constituted “immediate jeopardy to resident health or safety,” according to documents first reported by The Washington Post and provided to ABC News by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, the governmental organization that conducted the inspection. Violations included failure to have an emergency physician service available 24 hours a day, failure to have an infection surveillance program and failure to provide quality care to residents during a respiratory outbreak.One nurse interviewed as part of the inspection told investigators, according to the documents, that she had concerns about fast-spreading respiratory infections in the facility as early as Feb. 12, but that the infection was not reported because medical providers mistakenly believed it was the flu. Life Care Center of Kirkland did not respond to a request for comment.Since the outbreak at Kirkland, nursing homes and their elderly residents have feared exposure to COVID-19. Earlier this week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that at least 400 nursing homes in the nation had at least one positive case. And a growing list of homes around the country, including those in Maryland, Tennessee, Texas, New Jersey and Florida have been quickly overwhelmed by the rapid spread of the virus among residents.In most cases nursing home officials reported seeing elderly residents, many with preexisting medical conditions or weaker immune systems, simply unable to fend off the highly contagious virus no matter how hard the staff tried to isolate those with symptoms. Some seniors at Kirkland and other facilities have managed to recover from COVID19, but the virus has been especially hard to fight because, in early stages, many of those who are contagious show no outward signs of illness.But nursing homes also have a well-documented history of difficulty controlling infections, and public records show many with an extensive history of inspection failures. According to a Kaiser Health News survey of federal records, 9,372 nursing homes, or 61%, were cited for one or more infection-control deficiency since 2017. The surveyed looked at almost 15,000 federally skilled nursing homes that take Medicare or Medicaid by analyzing data compiled from Medicare’s nursing home compare database.Despite the finding, the analysis said that only 1% of those violations were met with any sort of fine from the federal agency responsible for policing the homes, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.As the situation at Kirkland worsened in early March, the agency announced fresh plans to “focus their facility inspections exclusively on issues related to infection control” and said those efforts would begin with nursing homes and hospitals. On March 23, the agency’s administrator, Seema Verma, said her inspectors were prepared “to respond to emerging threats to nursing home resident safety, such as that which the Coronavirus poses.”In 2019, prior to the coronavirus outbreak, the Trump administration took steps to scale back nursing home regulations, including rules that would require all nursing homes to have an infection preventionist on staff, according to the federal register. Congressional Democrats raised concerns about the proposed moves in March.“The administrations efforts to weaken nursing home oversight leaves seniors more likely to be in the care of facilities that are unprepared for an emerging infections disease, such as COVID-19,” reads a letter written by Sens. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., and Richard Neal, D-Mass., on March 4. “The outbreak of COVID-19 at the Life Care Center of Kirkland demonstrates the tragic consequences of emerging infections diseases for nursing home residents and underscores the need for robust emergency preparedness and infection control requirements and response.”At the Life Care Center of Kirkland, where families are still recovering from a tragedy of unimaginable scale, federal inspectors said in a letter sent to the nursing home that it was being issued a $13,585 per day fine, effective Feb. 12 and continuing through March 27, for a total of $611,325.The total amount is subject to change depending on how well Kirkland does in correcting its non-compliance in the coming months. If corrections aren’t made by Sept. 16, Kirkland also risks losing its access to federal funds.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Published on August 23, 2019 at 1:34 pm Contact Michael: [email protected] | @MikeJMcCleary Paul first started getting looks this summer at the Cleveland Am-Pro. He put up big scoring numbers through shooting the ball and “found a new love” for passing and creating opportunities. Some nights, he said he hovered around 35 points and 10-plus assists. Paul — against better competition — thrived.Haught, who worked with Paul over the summer and is the trainer for NBA stars D’Angelo Russell and Devin Booker, noticed the buzz and interest directed at Paul. Haught has noticed a significant jump from Paul’s mental game over the past two years, which allows Paul to “lock-in” more easily.Over the summer, Paul split most of his days between the gym and the weight room. He played one-on-one games against pros and showed his progress in the Cleveland Am-Pro. Haught said Paul has always been unheralded in Cleveland basketball. He attended Hawken High School (Ohio), a small catholic school, and didn’t gain much exposure until he played the 2017-18 season with Brewster Academy (New Hampshire). Haught said Paul put in the work this summer, and he was expecting to play.“If you’re never going to play (at Syracuse) this much time, you might as well explore your options,” Haught said. A few days before Paul left to go on Syracuse’s trip to Italy, Paul said Haught sat down with Paul’s father, Curt, and the two reached an understanding.“I just love the game,” Paul said. “And sitting on the bench… it can be hard.”Haught said there are a ton of teams reaching out with interest in Paul. Paul officially entered the portal Thursday night.He kept his decision quiet, only speaking with his family and close friends, and keeping it mostly to himself even as he played with his SU teammates in Italy. When he woke up this morning, he had 130 text messages.“He’s been an underdog his whole life and he carries that with him,” Haught said. “That’s his chip on his shoulder.”This story was updated with additional reporting. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse sophomore guard Brendan Paul entered the transfer portal and will explore leaving Syracuse, Paul confirmed to The Daily Orange.Paul, a walk-on at Syracuse, said he received feedback from his play over the summer and from his trainer, Robbie Haught, that pushed him to consider his options. Though entering the transfer portal could ultimately allow him to return to SU if his options aren’t attractive enough, Paul said he’s already been contacted on the phone by Missouri State and Appalachian State as of Friday afternoon.“I always knew I was capable of playing basketball at the Division I level, that’s why I decided to walk on to Syracuse,” Paul said. “Now knowing that I would have never ended up playing as much as I wanted to, I wanted to explore (my options).”