NEW YORK — Brandon Marshall knew he was on his way out of Chicago. He heard all the rumors. Things got rocky with the Bears last season, so a change appeared inevitable.“I kind of felt it over the last two months,” Marshall said during a conference call. “So my agent and I just prepared ourselves emotionally and also from the business standpoint for that day. So, it really wasn’t unexpected.”The New York Jets agreed to a deal for Marshall on March 6, and it became official March 10 as the NFL’s free agency period started. The Jets sent a fifth-round draft pick to Chicago for the playmaking wide receiver and a seventh-rounder.For Marshall, it will be his fourth NFL team. And, he hopes, his last.“Oh, man, yeah,” he said. “That was the plan in Chicago, and that’s definitely the plan here in New York.”Marshall, who turns 31 on March 23, played the last three seasons with the Bears. But he dealt with injuries and had 61 catches last season, his lowest total since his rookie year with Denver in 2006. He also clashed with teammates at times, and even his relationship with quarterback Jay Cutler appeared a bit strained.“We’re the brothers that, we love each other and we also get into it, but it’s always been that way and it will never change,” Marshall said. “I love him.”New Jets coach Todd Bowles was in Miami as the Dolphins defensive coordinator while Marshall was there for two seasons. The two hit it off then, and Marshall is excited to be reunited with Bowles.“Look out, everybody. He’s a man’s man,” Marshall said of Bowles. “He’s a leader.”Marshall has watched what the Jets and new general manager Mike Maccagnan have done during an aggressive last few days, including trading for him and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and signing cornerbacks Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine, and safety Marcus Gilchrist.“These guys have created something special,” Marshall said. “This is a young team, a team that’s hungry. It’s going to be a special journey.”He comes to the Jets as a true No. 1 wide receiver, a guy who has caught 100 or more passes in five seasons and had at least 1,000 yards receiving every year from 2007-13.In offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s system with the Jets, Marshall expects to be a “big piece” but used in whatever way is most effective.“I think with this offense and with what Chan does, spreading the ball around, is going to help us out a lot,” he said. “But I do think I’m going to be in position because of how great a job he does creating matchups to really take my game to another level and I’m looking forward to that.”In Chicago, Marshall saw his targets decrease from earlier in his career as the Bears brought in Alshon Jeffery and Martellus Bennett to pair with him and running back Matt Forte to help Cutler run a potentially high-scoring offense.He sees the potential for a similar situation with the Jets, especially with Eric Decker complementing him at wide receiver.“We might be going against a team where he might have the best match-up and Decker might be the guy with 10, 11 catches and I may just have two,” Marshall said. “Five years ago, I wouldn’t have been able to cope with that the right way.”Marshall’s actions on and off the field have sometimes been an issue in his previous stops. He’s known as a fiery competitor, and has been willing to speak his mind, calling out teammates at times and rubbing some the wrong way.He is also well-spoken and thoughtful, parlaying that into a role on Showtime’s Inside The NFL, a gig that required him to fly from Chicago to New York every Tuesday. His commute would be a lot closer now from the Jets’ facility in Florham Park, New Jersey.“It’s only a 30-minute ride to Showtime,” he said, “if we choose to do that again.”Marshall has said he suffers from borderline personality disorder, and has been an active spokesman for mental health during the last few years. He has been fined by the NFL in the past for wearing green cleats to support his mental illness foundation.“I was lost and really didn’t cope and deal with things the right way the first couple of years,” Marshall said. “My second year in Miami (2011) is when there really was a transformation in my life and in my heart, and I started to see the world the way it’s supposed to be seen.“Since then, I’ve been living my life in a way that, I haven’t been perfect,” he added, “but one that I would say that I’m happy with and feel that I’m being an effective, healthy citizen wherever I am.”(DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer)TweetPinShare0 Shares
LOUISVILLE, KY – MARCH 15: A detail of an official NCAA Men’s Basketball game ball made by Wilson is seen on the court as the Iowa State Cyclones play against the Connecticut Huskies during the second round of the 2012 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament at KFC YUM! Center on March 15, 2012 in Louisville, Kentucky. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)It’s been a tough week for Iowa fans. This past Tuesday, former football star Tyler Sash passed away at the age of just 27 years old. Friday, former basketball player Roy Marble, the leading scorer in Hawkeyes history, died after a year-long battle with cancer. He was only 48 years old.Friday afternoon, Iowa released a touching six-minute tribute video in Marble’s memory. You can view it below.A Tribute Video to Roy Marble http://t.co/EyoS82ilVl— The Iowa Hawkeyes (@TheIowaHawkeyes) September 11, 2015Our thoughts and prayers are with Marble’s friends and family during what’s surely been a tough week.
ROME – Former Italian Premier Matteo Renzi on Tuesday challenged members of his defeated Democrats to publicly declare if they’ll support the populist 5-Star Movement, throwing down the gauntlet as he tries to prevent his party from fracturing and backing its political nemesis.Analysts say he has reason to worry. Given both the numbers and ideologies, a 5-Star government supported by elements of the Democratic Party may be the most stable and logical solution to Italy’s inconclusive elections.Renzi has said he would resign as party chair given the Democratic Party’s disastrous showing of less than 23 per cent of the vote — the worst result ever for the left.And he pledged the Democrats wouldn’t align with either the 5-Stars, which emerged from the election as the single-biggest party with 32 per cent of the vote, or the centre-right coalition, led by the anti-immigrant League, with 37 per cent.In a Facebook message Tuesday that suggested defections were a real threat, Renzi reminded his supporters that both the 5-Stars and the League “represent the opposite of our values.”“They’re anti-European, anti-political and have used a language of hatred,” Renzi wrote. “They said we were corrupt, mafiosi, and that we have blood on our hands because of immigration. I don’t think they’ve changed their mind overnight.”“For me, the Democratic Party has to be where the people put us: in the opposition,” Renzi wrote. “If anyone from our party thinks otherwise, let him or her say so,” either in an upcoming party meeting or in Parliament.The success of the 5-Stars, a grassroots internet-based movement that only was launched nine years ago, came in great part at the expense of the Democrats, including in their onetime stronghold of Emilia-Romagna in northern Italy.Researchers at the Bologna-based Cattaneo Institute, analyzing data from a select number of cities, concluded that of the 2.6 million voters the Democrats lost since the 2013 general election, “relevant numbers” went to the 5-Stars, as well as to a lesser degree the League and a new left-wing party.“All this indicates that the 5-Stars are the Democrats’ competitors, offering electors a ‘truer’ left than that embodied by a leader like Renzi,” the researchers said.As a result, analysts say, Renzi has reason to be concerned about the rank-and-file’s intentions.“I always start from the numbers. And the numbers tell me there are not many coalitions available,” said Roberto D’Alimonte, a political scientist at Rome’s LUISS University. “Today it looks very strange. But after a few weeks of useless searching, I think … it won’t look so strange.”Paolo Magri, director of the ISPI think-tank in Milan, said precisely because many of the 5-Stars’ new voters hailed previously from the Democratic Party, “a tie-up with the (Democrats) is more acceptable than with the League.”“The 5-Star program is so malleable that it allows different readings,” he told The Associated Press. “The legitimate choice of the 5-Stars was to water down themes more crucial to the program so they would be appealing to both ends of the spectrum.”The 5-Stars call themselves a grassroots “direct democracy” movement, with members voting for candidates and platforms via its online platform. The 5-Stars defy typical left-right ideology, espousing a platform that is green and anti-bank, and for the campaign, included a proposed monthly payment to Italians just for being citizens.The 5-Stars have evolved since the last parliamentary election when they refused to deal with any party, and want to become “the new establishment,” D’Alimonte said.“From anti-establishment to new establishment, and they want to gain credibility,” which they can do more effectively with the Democrats than with the extremists of the League, D’Alimonte said.Indeed, while both the League and the 5-Stars often share the euroskeptic and populist monikers, such labels paper over their differences.“The League is ideologically euroskeptical. The 5-Stars are tactically euroskeptical,” Magri said.Silvio Berlusconi, the three-time premier who dominated Italian politics for the past quarter century, was left in the dust of the election aftermath. In a major upset, his Forza Italia party came in second to the League within the centre-right.In his first comments since the election outcome, the 81-year-old Berlusconi said the results would have been different if he hadn’t been prevented from running as a candidate because of a tax fraud conviction. But he insisted he was still the head of Forza Italia, the “director of the centre-right and the guarantor of the cohesiveness of the coalition.”___Colleen Barry contributed from Milan.
TORONTO – Five things to watch for in the Canadian business world in the coming week:What’s next for NAFTA?Negotiators for Canada, Mexico and the U.S. are under the gun to make headway on a new NAFTA deal after passing the unofficial deadline of May 17, put in place to give Congress enough time to vote on it by the end of the year. Canadian officials say a deal is “close” but issues such as auto-sector content rules and a U.S.-proposed five-year sunset clause remain sticking points.Wholesale tradeStatistics Canada releases the wholesale trade figures for March on Tuesday. The agency said wholesale sales fell 0.8 per cent to $62.8 billion in February, the largest downward move and the second monthly drop since September 2017.Bank earnings kickoffCIBC will report second-quarter results on Wednesday, the first of the big banks to do so. The bank recently raised its posted five-year fixed-rate mortgage rate by 15 basis points, from 4.99 per cent to 5.14 per cent. The move followed similar announcements from Royal Bank and TD Bank, and are a result of rising bond yields.Royal updateRoyal Bank releases second-quarter results on Thursday. RBC CEO David McKay recently said that large tech companies pose a threat to banks, as their command of data allows them to not only deduce what customers’ needs are and direct them to preferred financial institutions, but also get into banking themselves.Latest from TDTD Bank reports its second-quarter results on Thursday. The bank recently followed Bank of Montreal by lowering its five-year variable closed rate to 2.45 per cent until the end of May. The moves come amid slowing mortgage growth and falling home sales, which hit a five-year low in April.
Jaipur: A 31-year-old man was arrested under sedition charges here on Thursday for uploading a post on social media seeking a contract to kill Prime Minister Narendra Modi. “We had received a complaint about the objectionable social media post on police control room, following which the accused was traced and arrested with the help of cyber cell,” said DCP East Rahul Jain. The accused Naveen Kumar Yadav, a resident of Rewari in Haryana presently living in Triveni Nagar here, had demanded a contract to kill the prime minister, saying he had a full-proof plan. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ “Is there anyone who can give me a contract to murder Modi? I have a foolproof plan,” Yadav’s March 26 post read on Facebook. The DCP said the accused during interrogation accepted that he had posted the message on his Facebook wall and also withdrew it after several people raised objection to it. The accused revealed he was unhappy with the work done by the prime minister and the central government and has ideological differences with the PM, the officer said. Bajaj Nagar Police Station In-charge Manvendra Singh said Yadav had previously posted negative content against the PM and the Union government. He was arrested under IPC section 124A (sedition), 505B (disturbing public peace) and 506 (criminal intimidation), he said. Yadav runs a book store here.
Former Manchester United and Villarreal forward Giuseppe Rossi has been summoned to attend a hearing by Italy’s anti-doping agency Nado ItaliaThe 31-year-old was released by Serie A side Genoa at the end of last season and remains without a club.Now to add to his woes, Nado Italia have called on Rossi to attend a hearing on October 1 after failing a drug test.Rossi reportedly tested positive for dorzolamide after a Serie A match between Genoa and Benevento on May 12.Dorzolamide is a drug that acts as an anti-glaucoma agent commonly found in eye drops.Karsdorp reveals he had too much stress at Roma Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The Dutch defender has been with the Gialorrossi since 2017, but he has not enjoyed his time in the Italian Lega Serie A.Should the Italian forward be found guilty, then a 12-month suspension will be expected to be pushed for by Nado Italia’s prosecutors.Rossi began his career at United, where he scored one goal in 14 games before leaving for Newcastle and Parma on loan spells.The former Italy international spent a further six seasons at La Liga side Villarreal before returning to his homeland with Fiorentina.But, amid struggles with recurring injuries, Rossi left Florence for loan moves to Levante and Celta Vigo.He joined Genoa in December last year after being released by Viola.
Hearts manager Craig Levein has called for the introduction of video-assisted referees (VAR) in Scottish football and suggested Celtic and Rangers could pay for it.Levein has furiously criticized Scottish referees as his side has paid dearly for two wrongful decisions just in the past week.The latest was a controversial late penalty for St Johnstone in midweek, as Hearts had to settle for a point in a 2-2 draw.The Scottish Professional Football League ran an estimate for the cost of VAR, and it would cost £1m per season, and Levein believes Celtic and Rangers can pay for it as they earn money from playing in Europe this season.“I read recently that Ajax gave up their European money to take up the plastic pitches and put down grass pitches for the rest of the clubs in the league,” Levein told Sky Sports.Johnston is disappointed after being injured Manuel R. Medina – September 11, 2019 Celtic winger Mikey Johnston was disappointed to miss Scotland Under 21 national team’s victories over San Marino and Croatia, and he hopes he can return to play soon.“Maybe the Old Firm would give up their European money to put VAR in for everybody.“Unless we find somebody. Somebody bought Hampden so maybe somebody could put the money in to bring VAR in. It would certainly help referees.“VAR for me is the answer to the problem. As it is just now you just get one shot at it. It happens in rugby and it seems to be quite popular, there are less mistakes.“I think it’s a good idea, it’s just where we are going to find the money for it.”
Ajax sporting director Marc Overmars has tipped Barcelona to land in-demand duo Matthijs de Ligt and Frenkie de Jong.De Ligt has been on the radar of Juventus, while De Jong is equally in demand with Barca keen on wrapping up a deal with the parent club.Multiple reports have said the Dutch giants would demand a whopping €140m to part company with their highly-rated star duo.“Barcelona are the favourites, they are a fantastic club,” said Overmars – who used to play at the Camp Nou – as cited by Football Espana.Van Dijk isn’t better than Messi & Ronaldo, says Van der Vaart Andrew Smyth – September 12, 2019 Rafael van der Vaart reckons Virgil van Dijk is “special”, but he’s still behind Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo as the world’s best players.“But there are two other clubs who are also very close and all of Europe is moving, so Barca must do this well.“Can Messi help? Yes, but money is not the important factor for them – last year they turned down betters offers to stay here.“Will my time at Barca help? They already know about the club without the need for me to say.”
Senator Micciche, speaking to the House Judiciary Committee on Monday afternoon, said he refers to the bill as the “take it outside” act. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Last updated on January 26th, 2018 at 04:09 pmA proposal to ban smoking in bars and restaurants across Alaska gained wide support in the Alaska Legislature. If signed into law, the bill would restrict smoking in public places. One Republican state Representative Gabrielle LeDoux of Anchorage, the chairwoman of the House Rules Committee, killed the same bill in the 2015-16 Legislature. LeDoux, continues to voice her opposition for the bill, and is in a key position that allows her to decide whether it comes up for a final vote. Senate Bill 63, is sponsored by Senator Peter Micciche (R-K-Pen). SB 63 reads, “An Act prohibiting smoking in certain places; relating to education on the smoking prohibition; and providing for an effective date.” Micciche: “Senate Bill 63 does not prohibit outdoor smoking except where near it affects others, such as building entrances and exits. The Bill does not legislate the employment of smokers and nonsmokers, and local government will retain their ability for more restrictive local provisions than the statewide law.” Story as aired: Audio PlayerJennifer-on-smoking-ban.mp3VmJennifer-on-smoking-ban.mp300:00RPd