Ireland secured the Six Nations title at the venue two seasons ago but lock Devin Toner thinks Scotland are a better team now.The Ireland’s women’s team return to the scene of their 2015 Six Nations title win this evening. They take on Scotland at Glasgow’s Broadwood Stadium at 6.35pm. Leinster scrum-half Ailsa Hughes makes her intenational debutant with Jennie Finlay, Ilse van Staden, Eimear Considine and Ciara O’Connor all hopint to earn their first caps from the bench. The Ireland 20s team begin their campaign against their Scottish counter-parts at the same venue at 8.30pm. Head-coach Nigel Carolan has handed out 13 debuts across his starting 15 with out- half Johnny McPhillips and flanker Cillian Gallagher the only players previously capped.
Navy SEAL Edward “Eddie” Gallagher joined “Fox & Friends” Wednesday for his first interview since he was found not guilty of murder and attempted murder in the killing of a teenage ISIS fighter.The 40-year-old was accompanied by his wife, Andrea, and attorney Tim Parlatore.Gallagher, who was accused of fatally stabbing a 15-year-old ISIS member and taking pictures with the corpse in 2017, told Pete Hegseth he was “grateful to those who supported him through the process, including fellow service members, President Trump, and Republican Congressmen Duncan Hunter and Ralph Norman.”In the interview, he addressed how numerous media outlets described as an accused war criminal.“I believe they tried to frame me as a criminal from the get-go,” said Gallagher. “But we knew the truth the whole time; we knew I was innocent of these charges.”Gallagher said he overcame it by “having my strong wife with me the whole time and my legal team fighting for me.”Gallagher faced a total of seven criminal charges.Tuesday, a San Diego jury found him not guilty of six of seven charges including premeditated murder, willfully discharging a firearm to endanger human life, retaliation against members of his platoon for reporting his alleged actions, obstruction of justice and the attempted murders of two noncombatants.Jurors found Gallagher guilty of the seventh charge, posing for a photo with a casualty, which carries a maximum prison sentence of four months.Gallagher was released on time served.During the trial, jaws-dropped when another sailor confessed to killing the ISIS fighter by asphyxiation.The revelation contradicted the testimony of at least several SEALs who said Gallagher stabbed the ISIS teenager.Gallagher said a small group of SEALs “concocted” the accusations against him, arguing they do not represent the SEAL community as a whole.“I want the nation to know this is not what our community is about, said Gallagher. “This community is full of elite warriors that I have been honored and blessed to work with for the past 20 years.”
The closure of the Oceanic Bridge has made for more traffic and more tickets in Sea Bright.SEA SEA BRIGHT — With the closure of the Oceanic Bridge last month Sea Bright has seen more traffic making its way through the borough. And more traffic means more traffic violations.Police Chief John Sorrentino this week said his officers have issued more traffic summons in the last few months over the same time last year.According to the numbers Sorrentino provided, in Sept. 2011 the department issued 176 motor vehicle violations, compared to 83 in Sept. 2010; in Oct. 2010 the number was 113, and a year later it rose to 128. And from Oct. 17, when the bridge closed for repair work, until Nov. 18, police gave out 184 tickets; while during the same time last year the number was 130.“There’s more traffic coming over,” Sorrentino said this week, explaining the increase. “There are so many people who use that Oceanic Bridge that it is just a higher volume of traffic on Ocean Avenue.”The Oceanic Bridge spans the Navesink River, connecting Rumson to the Locust section of Middletown. The bridge was closed last month for repair work and is expected to remain closed until next May.With the bridge closed, vehicles heading to Middletown, Highlands and Atlantic Highlands must travel over Coopers Bridge in Red Bank or follow the detour signs through Rumson over the Sea Bright and travel north along Ocean Avenue(State Highway 36), to their destination. And as Sorrentino pointed out, “More cars, obviously more tickets.”The majority of tickets the department issued were for speeding and improper use of a handheld cell phone while driving, according to Sorrentino.As for the rise in ticketing, the chief noted, “Sea Bright is basically one street, a state highway,” and “We’re always out there.”“We’re always going to be aggressive when it comes to people who are speeding and on their cell phones,” he said, making it clear violators would be stopped and issued tickets.And that is all right with Mayor Maria Fernandes. “The residents have been complaining that there is a lot of speeding going through town,” especially in the north beach area, where Fernandes lives.Fernandes suspects it is commuters coming over the Sea Bright Bridge on their way to ferry terminals in Highlands and Atlantic Highlands who account for the majority of the speeders.“They step on the pedal to the metal and they’re chatting away on their cell phones,” Fernades said. “I don’t think they realize how fast they’re going; they’re too involved in their conversations.”The speed limit along Ocean Avenue is 40 miles per hour for most of the year, with the state Department of Transportation giving the borough permission to lower it to 35 during the summer months, Fernandes said.A ticket using a cell phone while driving carries a $130 penalty upon conviction, according to Stephanie Seyr, deputy court clerk for the combined Municipal Court for Sea Bright and Oceanport.Fines for speeding range from $85 to $260 and can include the loss of a driver’s license and the issuance of motor vehicle points, starting at two, Seyr said. And while the municipality does earn revenue from summonses, it does not get to keep it all as some of it is distributed to a variety of state agencies and programs.
The movers and shakers on the Blueliners want to keep the dream alive and are eagerly looking for new players to populate the roster.The Blueliners, playing in the intermediate division of women’s recreational hockey, is coming off of a very successful 2011-12 season and is looking for an even better season this year.The squad anticipates entering the Spokane Hoctoberfest to defend is 2012 title, and take back the Nelson Icebreaker crown from the Vernon Vipers later in the season. The Blueliners actively seek out tourneys in BC, Alberta and the States — and have a lot of fun playing hockey. The team begins weekly practices on this October on Sundays at 6:30 – 7:45 p.m. in the NDCC Arena. Anyone Interested in playing can contact Loreli at 250-359-2996 or [email protected] For 18th seasons the Nelson Blueliners have been challenging all comers.