Nearly 40 crosses and plaques at the Guardian Angel Catholic cemetery in Curchorem village in South Goa were desecrated early morning on Monday, police said.This is the fourth such incident in the last one month involving desecration of Christian crosses and Hindu idols.A senior police official said that a CCTV camera installed at the cemetery was damaged before the vandals went around desecrating crosses and plaques fixed atop graves. Deputy Inspector General of Police Rupinder Kumar told The Hindu on Monday that he was onsite to take stock of the situation.”We are at the site right now, I am talking to people” Mr. Kumar said. He said no arrests have been made so far.”Police personnel were posted outside the cemetery. When they heard sounds from inside, they went to check and found several Catholic crosses, granite stone plaques and grave stones damaged.” he said.Initially, officials at the Curchorem police station had estimated the number of damaged crosses, gravestones and plaques at nearly 100. “We are working on some leads”, he said.The Goa Police has already formed a special team to investigate such events, which Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has said is being carried out by vested interests to disturb communal harmony in the State. Mr. Parrikar is presently away in U.S. on a week-long private visit. Goa Pradesh Congress president Shantaram Naik has demanded a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the series of such incidents in the State. “Goa Director-General of Police Muktesh Chander briefed me about the incident. I have demanded a CBI probe to look into the such continuing events,” Mr. Naik told The Hindu on Monday afternoon. He said that the Parrikar-led government in the State had failed to reign in such incidents.”This looks like a sinister attempt by some elements to disturb communal harmony in Goa,” Mr. Naik said, but declined to name the forces.He blamed Mr. Parrikar for not giving charge to any of his Cabinet colleagues while he was leaving for US, despite knowing the present situation.
A resident of Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut district has sought divorce on grounds that his wife, under the influence of a tantrik (shaman), was giving him only ‘laddoos’ to eat.The man approached a family court where he said that on the instructions of the tantrik, his wife gave him four laddoos to eat in the morning and four in the evening. He was not allowed to eat anything else.The man said that he had been ailing for some time and his wife approached the ‘tantrik’ who asked her to make her husband eat only the laddoos.Officials at the family counselling centre were puzzled over the pretext for seeking divorce.“We can call the couple for counselling, but we can not treat the woman for being superstitious. She firmly believes that the laddoos will cure her husband and is unwilling to accept otherwise,” said a counsellor.
The BCCI is under scanner of the Enforcement Directorate (ED) over alleged violation of FEMA during the IPL auctions. The contentious issue is the base fee agreed upon between the BCCI and 72 foreign players. The forex payment guarantees are in clear violation of FEMA or the Foreign Exchange Management Act. Documents obtained by Headlines Today show that the total base fee guarantee extended by the BCCI was worth 13.4 million dollars or Rs 62 crore. The foreign exchange guarantee was given by the board without permission from the RBI. Foreign exchange transactions made during IPL 2 in South Africa too are under the scanner. These transactions were made with entities like Cricket South Africa and the sponsors. The BCCI had advanced 2.5 million dollars to enable budgeted costs of Cricket South Africa. Several transactions made to persons residing outside India and the sources of these funds too are being investigated. Juhi Chawla under scannerMeanwhile, Juhi Chawla, a co-owner of the Kolkata Knight Riders, has come under the scanner for alleged FEMA violation. An ED note accessed by Headlines Today reveals that 40 lakh shares of Chawla were transferred to a Mauritius-based company. The shares were transferred at par in violation of FEMA. The norms stipulate that since the shares were that of an unlisted company, they should have been valued by a chartered accountant. The ED report also cites similar irregularities in Kings XI Punjab and Rajasthan Royals.
zoom As carriers’ stock of ready-to-cascade Asia-Europe containerships is almost empty, the second phase of the cascade could be even more difficult for carriers to manage, according to shipping consultancy Drewry.New Ultra Large Container Vessels (ULCVs) will force the cascade into a potentially more destructive second phase of bigger ships moving into North-South lanes as these vessels will stretch the ability of ports to handle them and trades’ capacity to absorb them without dumping utilisation.The introduction of these leviathans and the proceeding arms race to catch up that has pushed the ceiling closer to 20,000 TEU, has had huge consequences for the industry, one of the biggest being the huge deployment headaches they have given carriers. With the biggest ships effectively locked into the Asia-Europe trade due to port handling limitations elsewhere carriers have had to be creative in shuffling ships into new trade lanes.The phasing of ex-Asia-Europe ships into new lanes has routinely destabilised the new homes and has been a major contributing factor towards persistently low freight rates. The slowdown in demand that coincided with the arrival of the ULCVs exacerbated the industry’s overcapacity and has meant that for years carriers’ deployment decisions were less than optimal, according to Drewry.“Deciding where to use their biggest assets has most often been based on necessity rather than demand,” Drewry said, adding that the average size of vessel on the Asia-North Europe trade is nearly as big as Maersk Line’s E-class units at 14,600 TEU, introduced 10 years ago. There are now only seven sub-10,000 TEU ships left on the route.While the pressure to cascade ships is intensifying thanks to the new ULCVs, carriers in the Asia-North Europe trade now have less low-hanging fruit they can easily pick off and redeploy elsewhere.Since the first quarter of 2013, the average ship size on the Europe-South Africa trade has grown by 92%, while for Asia-West Africa the growth rate was 79% and for Asia-East Coast South America it was 64%. Some of that will have been through newbuilds going directly into the trade, but most will be down to the cascade, Drewry said.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, October 31, 2016 – “Only a few months ago during my Budget Address I told this country that the Rufus Ewing led Government has been marred with incompetence. It appears that once again Rufus Ewing and his Government have shown this country that he and his colleagues are not capable or fit to govern.”“The Governor in a Statement issued earlier has said that he will be postponing the date of Election due to the inability of election office officials not having the required preparation time stipulated under the Elections Ordinance and that this decision was made in consultation with the Premier. Whilst the Premier may make a request for the dissolution of the House of Assembly by virtue of section 57 of the Constitution and the date is set by the Governor under the powers given him under section 59 of the Constitution, it is precedent that the Governor entertain the Premier in agreeing the date for General Election.” “No doubt the Premier has had to admit his incompetence and his promise to announce a new date confirms that he had made a confession of same to the Governor. Another history making event for this outgoing Premier, and nothing short of an indication of how he ran this country over the past few years and what you can expect if the country were to unfortunately fall into his hands again.”“Rufus Ewing is the FIRST Leader in our Country’s History to ever get an election date wrong! We assure our supporters that we are more than ready for December 5th or any date to come. We encourage all voters to be patient until the new date is set but to also take note of the PNP’s weak, incompetent leader who has not even gotten the election date right.” “Let’s be all in for a PDM Win! Enough Is Enough! It Is Time For A Change!” Related Items:
Liverpool defender Andy Robertson has praised the team’s battling qualities after their 1-0 win at Huddersfield kept their level on points with league leaders Manchester City.The home side gave as good as they got against Klopp’s team, who extended their unbeaten top-flight start to nine games courtesy of Mohamed Salah’s first-half goal.“Yes of course, there’s a bit of relief. It was a tough game against a very good side,” Robertson said, according to Herald. “It’s important you come to these places and you win the game.”“Luckily we managed to get our noses in front and we’ve seen it out from there. We can play a lot better, but they made it hard. It’s a very good three points for us.”Report: City are stunned by Norwich George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Manchester City was stunned by Norwich City in todays Premier League clash.Much has been made in recent days of the potential impact of Aymeric…“We weren’t surprised by Huddersfield at all,” Robertson said. “We did our analysis and in our meetings, the analysis team and our manager were saying they were a better team than the points suggest and I think they proved that.”“They played very well and they’re probably a wee bit unfortunate to be where they are in the table. I think they will have a positive season.””They just need to get up and running and hopefully, they will do that, but for us it was about getting the three points.”“We weren’t at our best, but like I said these are the games you have to win if you want to challenge and we’ll play a lot better.”
John Fitzgerald, director of operations of Channel Airline Airsearch, says the small plane where the Argentinean was traveling might have sunk in less than three minutes.After it was publicly known that a small plane carrying two people disappeared in the English Channel, authorities started looking for survivors.On the plane, Argentinean footballer and recent Cardiff City signing Emiliano Sala was traveling together with the pilot of the aircraft.“If they really are in the water, I would say there is no chance of finding them alive,” said Fitzgerald to Vía País in Argentina.“The other day I went swimming (on the English Channel) and only lasted for three minutes.”“It is very cold in these waters; one person could stay there an hour at the most. I do not think they have landed on land because air traffic would have been informed,” he explained.Sala recently signed for Cardiff City in the English Premier League, after he spent four years with French Ligue A club Nantes.Top 5 best players from the international break weekend Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 11, 2019 After a fresh international break just came to an end, we need to talk about the Top 5 best players during this whole weekend.We…“I was especially cold. In the first part of the investigation last night, the visibility was good, but we had to deal with the freezing rain that fell around 23.30,” Fitzgerald added.“As the investigation progressed, the cloud ceiling dropped and we had to stop the investigation.”“What we’re looking for first is the device’s black box. If the plane really crashed into the sea but remained in one piece, then you have to pay attention to the traces of oil that come to the surface,” he continued.“If it broke in flight, which can not be ruled out, for one reason or another, then we will find debris on the surface. But an airplane of this size that hits the water sinks in two or three minutes.”La Direction et l’ensemble du Club gardent espoir et c’est toute la famille du FC Nantes qui prie pour qu’@EmilianoSala1 et les autres passagers de l’avion soient enfin retrouvés sains et saufs.#PrayForSala https://t.co/i6POQinWLi— FC Nantes (@FCNantes) January 22, 2019
DANVERS, MA — Get ready for a fabulously funny, fairytale adventure when Shrek JR comes to the stage at St. John’s Prep. Audiences will love this tender, heartwarming story of a reluctantly lovable ogre and his wisecracking sidekick, who set out to rescue a feisty princess. Hilarious twists and turns ensue when they meet a ragtag band of misfits and find true acceptance along the way.Two Wilmington students are part of the production. Nicholas Morad will play several roles, including Little Ogre, Dwarf and one of the Three Blind Mice. James Callahan is handling lighting design.Performances are scheduled for Friday, January 18, at 7pm; Saturday, January 19 at 7pm; and Sunday, January 20, at 2pm at the Kaneb Theatre in Alumni Hall at St. John’s Prep (72 Spring Street, Danvers). Tickets cost $10 and can be purchased online HERE.(NOTE: The above information is from St. John’s Prep.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSTUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 6 Wilmington Students Earn Academic Honors At St. John’s PrepIn “Education”STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 7 Wilmington Students Earn Academic Honors At St. John’s PrepIn “Education”STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 7 Wilmington Students Earn Academic Honors At St. John’s PrepIn “Education”
Obaidul QuadeRoad, transport and bridges minister Obaidul Qauder on Sunday drew the attention of the election commissioner to taking interview of BNP nomination seekers by its acting chairperson Tarique Rahman through a videoconference.“We’re drawing the election commission’s attention whether a fugitive convict in two cases can join election procedures,” he said while talking to reporters at the secretariat.Quader, also the general secretary of Awami League, said, “I would like to tell the nation whether a fugitive convict can give such a statement. We want justice from the nation.”About their nominations of the ruling alliance, he said the list of candidates nominated by the AL-led 14-party alliance will be announced within 4-5 days as the list at its final stage.Responding to a question, how many seats will be shared with the alliance parties, he said, “Our prime minister told us that 65-70 seats will be given to alliance parties. If there’re more winnable candidates, the number might be raised through discussions.”In reply to another question, he said this election will be much fairer than previous ones. “There was no election in the past which was hundred per cent free and fair.” In response to another question about the election manifestos of others, Quader said, “Alliance partners will publish their respective manifestoes. There’s a possibility that the prime minister herself will unveil the Awami League manifesto. But, the date is yet to be fixed.”
After two successful years, the third edition of the North East Festival was successfully held in a brand new avatar in the national Capital. The festival which began on October 16 at IGNCA, Janpath, was inaugurated by Arvind Kejriwal, Chief Minister of Delhi. Manish Sisodia, Deputy CM Delhi, Kapil Mishra, Tourism Minister of Delhi were the guest of honours for the inaugural. This year’s main focus of the festival was Tourism, Look East and Act East Policy with various discussion sessions with top policy makers. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’The North-East Festival is synonymous with the unification of the various stakeholders of North East under one dynamic platform. While inaugurating the 3rd edition of North-East Festival, Arvind Kejriwal, Chief Minister of Delhi, said, “North East is the most beautiful destination in India and its people are also most beautiful and nice. It is extremely heartening to see such a festival happening in Delhi. North-East festival is a great initiative and we promise to make it bigger with more marketing next year. I would like to ensure that people from North East are safe in Delhi and we will do everything to ensure their safety here.” Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixThis year a special exhibition on North East’s Freedom Fighters’ contribution to India’s Independence has been organised. Arvind Kejriwal was gifted a sketch of
Kolkata: The Paschimbanga Bangla Akademi (PBA) will soon come up with a directory of the little magazines in the state so that the state government can provide assistance to them in times of need. “We are presently collecting names and addresses of the little magazines spanning across the state. We are trying to release the directory of the little magazines on February 21, which is observed as Bhasha Divas,” said Shaoli Mitra, president of PBA that comes under the aegis of the state Information & Cultural Affairs department. Also Read – 3 injured, flight, train services hit as rains lash BengalThe matter inviting details of various little magazines has been published in various newspapers and the response has been quite good. Mitra also informed that PBA is going to hold the five-day Literary Festival & Little Magazine Fair at Rabindra Okakura Bhavan in Salt Lake. The festival will be inaugurated by state Education minister Partha Chatterjee on Friday, in presence of minister of state for Information & Cultural Affairs Indranil Sen. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedThe festival that will be held till January 15, will have 300 little magazine stalls and 300 poets, novelists and authors will indulge in book reading and recitation. 25 little magazine publications will be handed over a grant of Rs 25,000 each by the state government during the festival this year, with the aim of ensuring their smooth functioning in the days to come. “We give priority to promotion of the little magazines as many famous authors have risen to eminence through contributions to them,” Mitra said. A walk will be organised on Friday from the foot of the statue of Rabindranath Tagore at Central Park in Salt Lake upto the festival venue, with hoardings and banners highlighting the event. The inaugural programme will follow after the walk. The first day of the festival will host a befitting tribute to late poet Nirendranath Chakraborty.