Western Bureau: Scoring a hat-trick in today’s daCosta Cup final is uppermost in the mind of Dinthill Technical’s striker Rodave Murray. “Winning the title with this team would be an amazing feeling, but scoring a hat-trick in the final, plus winning, would be extraordinary. That is what I am focusing on at the moment,” declared Murray ahead of today’s showdown with St Elizabeth Technical (STETHS). Such is the confidence of Dinthill’s most prolific goalscorer this year, having netted 27 times so far. Murray has been their most dependable player and is noted for his high skill level. Aware of STETHS threat He said he is aware of the threat STETHS pose to them lifting the title after a 34-year wait, adding that it’s a final worth seeing, as his team is hungry and desirous of proving themselves worthy champions. The wily 18 year-old forward has been a real threat to opponents all season, as his close controlling and dribbling skills make it a difficult task for defenders to stop him. “I love to lead by example, so I work hard for the team, and with my goals, we are able to reach the final. Now (that) we are here, we are hoping to enjoy the moment, play good football and score to win,” Murray said.
MOST READ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours While San Miguel has thrived in this tournament, Meralco has gone the exact opposite. The Bolts have won just a combined four games in the last two seasons under Black, who continues to look for a dominant man in the middle.Instead, the Bolts landed KG Canaleta from the free agent market, and the journeyman gunslinger repaid Black’s trust in their debut by shooting 25 points against his former team.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Eagles abound in pro league Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals View comments Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netWith the entire field wanting to shoot it down, defending champion San Miguel Beer returns to action Wednesday and will put Meralco to the test in the PBA Philippine Cup as they jostle for the early elimination round lead at Ynares Center in Antipolo.Coming off an impressive 104-96 decision of Phoenix Petroleum in the inaugurals, the Beermen will slug it out with the Bolts in the 7 p.m. contest.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense Meanwhile, the Fuel Masters try to rebound from that defeat when they battle Kia Picanto in the 4:15 p.m. game.“The field improved their rosters and their battlecry is to beat San Miguel Beer,” Austria went on. “But every time there’s pressure, my players play with the sense of urgency. They are still hungry [to win] the title.”No team has achieved a four-peat in this conference, and San Miguel has come out on top of practically everyone’s list as the team to beat.And Black’s problem will be Fajardo, with Meralco not having the player that can stop the the 6-foot-10 star one-on-one.“I think we have a better team than the one last season,” Black added.ADVERTISEMENT Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina “They will be a handful,” Meralco coach Norman Black said of the Beermen, after his Bolts also had a shaky debut against the Blackwater Elite a week ago.San Miguel coach Leo Austria didn’t hide his strengths in the win over Phoenix, calling on his starting unit to do practically all of the offensive damage on the Fuel Masters.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkAgainst Phoenix, Austria’s first five scored all but nine of the total San Miguel output, with reigning four-time Most Valuable Player June Mar Fajardo finishing with 23 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks.“The first win is really hard [to get], especially because everyone is preparing very hard for us,” Austria said.
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said U.S. Agency for International Development personnel are in Yogyakarta, the central Indonesian city that bore much of the quake’s impact. The quake’s epicenter was 50 miles south of the rumbling Merapi volcano, and activity increased soon after the temblor. A large burst spewed hot clouds and sent debris cascading about two miles down its western flank. Bambang Dwiyanto of the Energy and Mineral Ministry could not say whether the quake caused the volcanic activity but warned that it could trigger a larger eruption. “It will influence the activities of Mount Merapi, particularly in the lava dome,” said Dwiyanto, head of the ministry’s geological division. Indonesia, the world’s largest archipelago, is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the so-called Pacific “Ring of Fire,” an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin. Saturday’s quake was centered about six miles below the surface, the U.S. Geological Survey said. Anthony Guarino of the CalTech Seismological Laboratory in Pasadena, said Indonesia has the second-highest number of erupted volcanos in historic time, outside of Japan. It also has the largest number of volcanos in the world – 76. As night fell across the disaster zone – stretching across hundreds of square miles of mostly farming communities in Yogyakarta province – tens of thousands of people prepared to sleep on streets, in rice fields and in back yards, fearful of aftershocks. International agencies and other nations promised to send relief immediately. Power and telephone service was out across much of the region, adding to their terror. After spending hours digging in vain through the smoldering debris, many said they were giving up their search for relatives or friends until morning. “It’s just too dark,” said Sarjio, who was looking for his 40-year-old neighbor, believed to be trapped beneath the remains of her house. “There’s nothing we can do now.” President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono ordered the army to evacuate victims and arrived with a team of Cabinet ministers to oversee rescue operations. He slept in a tent camp with survivors. At least 3,731 people were killed, rescue officials said. “The numbers just keep rising,” said Arifin Muhadi of the Indonesian Red Cross, adding that more than 3,400 people were hurt. The only foreigner reported killed or injured in the quake was a man from Holland. U.S. Embassy spokesman Max Kwak said he did not know of any American casualties. Yogyakarta is about 18 miles from the sea. In the chaos that followed the quake, false rumors of an impending tsunami sent thousands of people fleeing to higher ground in cars and on motorbikes. The city is 1,390 miles southeast of Aceh province, where 131,000 people died in a December 2004 tsunami triggered by a magnitude-9.1 earthquake under the sea. Many roads and bridges were destroyed, hindering efforts to get vehicles filled with wounded to hospitals. Doctors struggled to care for the injured, hundreds of whom were lying on plastic sheets, straw mats and even newspapers outside the overcrowded hospitals, some hooked to intravenous drips dangling from trees. Bloodstains littered the floor at Yogyakarta’s Dr. Sardjito Hospital, along with piles of soiled bandages. “We are short of surgeons,” said Alexander, a doctor who goes by one name. “There are still so many critically injured people here.” By nightfall, health officials at the hospital had tallied 89 dead, but bodies kept arriving and some family members were taking them home before they could be added to the official toll. Neighboring Malaysia said it will send a 56-member search team, doctors and medical supplies, and the European Commission said it would release up to $3.8 million in aid. The World Food Program was sending a plane with 2 tons of medicine and eight truckloads of fortified noodles and biscuits, agency spokeswoman Brenda Barton said in Rome. The Italian government also loaded a plane with 27 tons of tents, blankets, water purifiers, electric generators and other aid, the Foreign Ministry said. UNICEF is sending 9,000 tarpaulins, 2,000 tents, health kits and hygiene kits, spokesman John Budd told CNN. He said a hospital and several health clinics had collapsed, and about 4,000 houses were destroyed. Almost all people had already been evacuated away from the volcano’s danger zone, and there were no reports of injuries there. A geological researcher at the Indonesian Science Institute, Dani Hilman, said he did not believe the quake was powerful enough to create a large eruption. The quake cracked the runway and waiting area at the Yogyakarta airport, closing it to aircraft until at least today while inspections take place, Transport Minister Hatta Radjasa said. Officials said the famed 7th century Borobudur Buddhist temple, one of Indonesia’s most popular tourist attractions, was not affected by the quake.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! For More Info BANTUL, Indonesia – Desperate relatives searched rubble for survivors Saturday after a powerful earthquake flattened nearly all the buildings in this rice-farming town while residents slept, killing more than 3,700 people on Indonesia’s densely populated Java island. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2Village heads recorded their names so the victims could be added to the official death toll. Subarjo, a 70-year-old food vendor, sobbed next to his dead wife, his house destroyed. “I couldn’t help my wife. … I was trying to rescue my children, one with a broken leg, and then the house collapsed,” he said. “I have to accept this as our destiny, as God’s will.” It was the recent in a series of disasters to strike Indonesia – from the 2004 tsunami that ravaged Aceh province to a widening bird flu outbreak to the threat of eruption from nearby Mount Merapi. The United States responded with an emergency allocation of $500,000 for assistance to victims. “Through financial and material support, the United States is assisting with recovery efforts in coordination with Indonesian authorities, and we stand prepared to provide additional assistance as needed,” President Bush said in a statement released late Saturday. • AP Video: 5/27: Indonesia Quake The magnitude-6.3 quake wounded thousands more and was the nation’s worst disaster since the 2004 tsunami. It also triggered fears that a rumbling volcano nearby would erupt. The earthquake struck at 5:54 a.m. near the famed Borobudur temple complex, caving in roofs and sending concrete walls crashing down. Thousands were wounded. Survivors screamed as they ran from their homes, some clutching bloodied children and the elderly. The worst devastation was in the town of Bantul, where 80percent of the homes were destroyed and more than 2,000 people killed. Residents started digging mass graves almost immediately, with family members sobbing and reading the Quran beside rows of corpses awaiting burial beneath a blazing sun.