Category: vekwpm

75 Families Get US$7,500 Street Child Grant

first_imgA total of 75 additional families last Saturday received US$100.00 each, making it a total of US$7, 500.00, from Street Child of Liberia, a child advocacy group in its sustainable family business scheme.A three-hour seminar on ‘How to conduct a successful business,’ preceded the distribution administered by Project Coordinator Mrs. Rose-June Dangbuah, at the auditorium of Educational Promoters in Chocolate City, near Gardnersville.She deliberated on subjects, including business etiquette; cash management and cash flow management; price setting; good marketing; how to handle customers; problem solving skills and why business fail.Coordinator Dangbuah also explained in basic terms the importance of a customer and time management.“Remember that your business exists because of the customer and therefore you must take care of your customers,” she said.Explaining to the beneficiaries that the customer is always right, Mrs. Dangbuah explained that the US$100.00 provided to each of the seventy-five parents is seed money which is aimed at improving their respective businesses, in order to help their children who are under Street Child of Liberia’s program.Mrs. Dangbuah urged the beneficiaries, mostly parents, the majority of whom were women, to set priorities of arriving at their business centers on time so as not to miss their customers.Deliberating on why business fail, she said such business owners lack sufficient capital, engage in spending beyond their means, improper time management and poor financial record keeping, among others.“Another reason that businesses fail is when, for example, you decide to sell umbrellas in the dry season,” she said, adding that owners of businesses should make it a responsibility to buy seasonal products.She told the gathering to invest wisely in their children, pointing out that investing in a child’s education is providing an important means for a family and the country to benefit in the future.So far, she said, Street Child of Liberia has provided 235 Liberian families with US$100.00 in its Family Scheme program, amounting to over US$25,000.00, with about 59 families expected to receive grants as the project continues.Several families expressed appreciation to Street Child, saying how much they welcomed and appreciated the financial seed assistance.The beneficiaries were drawn from communities in Montserrado County, including Pipeline, Chubor, Zinc Camp, Nizo Town, West Point, Glass Factory, Center Street and Camp Johnson Road.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Cartoon: October 19, 2016

first_imgShare this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img

NaFAA Somersaults on WB Support Claims

first_imgMeeting at the World Bank Headquarters in Washington DC, (R-L): Berengere Prince (Senior Resource Economist And Regional Task Team Leader for WARFP, Jingjie Chu Senior Natural Resource Economist and WARFP TTL for Liberia, Ghana and Sierra Leone), Abratha Doe, (Deputy Ambassador to Washington DC), Emma Metieh-Glassco (Director General of NaFAA), Ms. Diarietou Gaye (Director Strategy and Operations Africa Region), Beatrix Allah-Mensah (Senior Operations Officer).Says press statement contained misrepresentationsIn the wake of a March 21 2019, press statement from the National Fisheries and Aquaculture Authority (NaFAA), declaring that a US$21 million fisheries project for Liberia was underway with sponsorship from the World Bank, the World Bank has since, on March 25, 2019 issued a Press statement rebutting the report.The NaFAA press statement had disclosed that following what it called fruitful discussions with the World Bank, its Director-General, Emma Metieh Glassgow, was able to secure an agreement for the construction of a modern state-of-the-art fishing and processing facility as well as the establishment of landing jetties in five coastal counties.But this assertion was almost immediately countered by the World Bank which issued a statement debunking such claims, stressing that a new fishing project for Liberia will be determined only after the Bank’s Director for Regional Integration comes on board.The Bank also said a strategic decision will be made to fit the country’s priority needs and was as such setting the record straight that no decision has been made to that effect.But in an abrupt about-turn, the NaFAA yesterday issued a statement acknowledging that the World Bank did not make any funding commitments for the new project. It clarified that its previous press statement contained a misrepresentation of facts surrounding its Director-General’s meeting with the World Bank, adding that administrative action has already been taken to remedy the situation.The NaFAA further clarified that it was fully aware of ongoing administrative and structural changes at the Bank which has occasioned a temporary pause on all new project activities but it remains hopeful that in time due consideration will be given to support NaFAA’s priority interventions for sustainable development of the fisheries sector.Meanwhile, the NaFAA has said it takes pride in the commendations emanating from the World Bank’s Directors for what it has achieved over the period, and it remains committed to the sustainable management of Liberia’s fisheries resources towards the overall achievement of the government’s Pro-poor Agenda for Prosperity and Development.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Fort St. John RCMP continue investigation into possible shots fired

first_img– Advertisement – Officers arrived to the scene at approximately 7:00 p.m. on February 17, 2015 to a report of possible shots fired from a vehicle, according to the RCMP.Police remained on scene until approximately 10:00 p.m., and are continuing their investigation into the day as they try to determine if it was shots fired from a gun, or something less cynical like fireworks, says the RCMP representative.last_img

Development underway for AltaGas propane plant near Fort St. John

first_imgAltaGas announced Thursday that they have begun development on a propane export site, focusing on liquids separation and handling near Fort St. John.The facility will serve producers in the Montney Region.In a press release, AltaGas said that the facility will have “significant expansion opportunities.”- Advertisement -AltaGas added that the site is well connected by rail to Canada’s west coast and North American Markets and that a study on the site is expected to be completed by the end of 2015.Consultations with key stakeholders on the plant have already commenced and the regulatory permitting process will begin shortly.AltaGas said that they expect to make a final investment decision in 2016.Advertisementlast_img read more

Man who almost died in vicious knifing asks Judge not to jail his attacker

first_imgA man who almost died after being stabbed in a drunken row over a motorbike pleaded with a judge not to send his attacker to prison.Michael Callaghan lost a huge amount of blood and spent 10 days on life support after being viciously stabbed by his nephew Dylan Kilpatrick. The men had been drinking in a house in Donegal Town in January, 2016 at the home of Dylan’s mum Kathleen in Drumbarron.A row ensued and Dylan Kilpatrick, now aged 22, went into the kitchen, picked up a knife and brought it back into the sitting room.Mr Callaghan, 29, asked what the knife was for and Fitzpatrick said “we’ll see” before attacking his uncle stabbing him in the groin.The court heard the men had been drinking cider all day.Gardai arrived at the scene and found the injured man’s sister Kathleen applying direct pressure to her brother’s wound to stop it bleeding any more.Mr Callaghan was rushed to Letterkenny University Hospital and had to be flown by helicopter to Galway University Hospital for emergency treatment.He spent up to 10 days on a life support machine after losing a huge amount of blood but has made a full recovery.Mr Callaghan appeared in court to give evidence on behalf of his nephew.Barrister for the accused man, Mr Peter Nolan, said Kilpatrick had a very difficult upbringing and spent much of his life in care because his parents abused alcohol.He suffered from epilepsy and also suffered from the fall-out of his father passing away six years ago.Mr Nolan added “This is a classic or definitive broken home – an appalling upbringing. He didn’t get much of a chance,” he said.The accused man’s uncle Michael Callaghan also took to the witness box and pleaded with Judge Martin Nolan not to send his nephew to jail.He said “It was a stupid, drunken night. I lost my temper and I slapped him. We were drunk and it was an argument over a bike and I just fell out with him. I forgive him and I believe he is sorry.”Judge Martin Nolan sentenced the accused to four years in prison but suspended the last 18 months of the sentence.Man who almost died in vicious knifing asks Judge not to jail his attacker was last modified: February 3rd, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:blooddonegalDonegal TownDylan KilpatrickknifingMichael Callaghanlast_img read more

Presenter to spend more time in his “favourite place in the world” after leaving RTÉ

first_imgRTÉ presenter Aengus Mac Grianna will be spending more time at his holiday home in Donegal following his departure from RTÉ. Aengus has a holiday home in West Donegal, and has said in previous interviews with the Irish Independent that Donegal is his favourite place in the world.The Dublin native, who also runs an alpaca farm, attended the Gaeltacht in Gweedore and has many happy childhood memories in the area, making it the perfect spot for himself and his husband Terry to situate their holiday home. It has been announced today that he will be leaving RTÉ after thirty years at the state broadcaster.He told the Sunday Independent: “I told management over six months ago of my decision so this was decided long before any of the changes.“I’ve had 30 wonderful years at RTE but it is time for a change.“It’s a bit like that book The Alchemist. I re-read it again recently and I am following my personal legend, as the book would say. “I haven’t fully mapped out where I want to go but I know that I’ll eventually get wherever that is meant to be.“My ultimate dream is to keep learning and to explore and discover new things.“I am open to the idea of going back to university and I will keep all my options open — from architecture to archaeology.”Aengus’ departure from RTÉ is just one of many recent changes for the broadcaster, with Keelin Shanley and Caitríona Perry to take the reigns from Bryan Dobson and Sharon Ní Bheoláin as presenters of the RTÉ Six One News from January 2018.Presenter to spend more time in his “favourite place in the world” after leaving RTÉ was last modified: November 14th, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Aengus Mac GriannadonegalpresenterRTElast_img read more

‘Alarming’ 7% increase in road deaths in 2019

first_imgThere are fears that progress on road safety has stalled as the number of fatalities rose by 7% in the first half of 2019. A review by the Road Safety Authority (RSA) and An Garda Síochána reports that 89 people died on Irish roads in 80 collisions between 1 January and 28 July 2019.This represents 3% more collisions and 7% more deaths compared to provisional Garda data for the same period in 2018. Five people lost their lives in Donegal collisions in the past six months.The highest number of fatalities among all road users occurred in Dublin (9) followed by Tipperary (8) and Cork (7).Ms. Moyagh Murdock, CEO, RSA said: “The figures released today are alarming. Clearly, the progress we have made in road safety over the last two years is at risk of stalling. The vast majority of deaths and injuries on our roads are preventable.“If we want to prevent any more tragedies on our roads we need to focus our attention on where the greatest risk is. The review presented today shows that this is at weekends and particularly on a Sunday. We are asking road users take greater care at these times and we want to see more targeted enforcement by An Garda Siochána at weekends if we are to reverse this worrying increase in 2019,” Ms Murdock said. Gardaí have also launched a new app today to improve road safety enforcement .The app, which is expected to be rolled out across the country this year, will give Gardaí at the roadside access to critical information such as driver disqualifications, insurance and NCT compliance. ‘Alarming’ 7% increase in road deaths in 2019 was last modified: August 1st, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Mars Life Hopes Suffer Double Disappointment

first_imgJust when the new Phoenix lander was flexing its arm and going to work (see JPL), hoping to determine the habitability of Mars, two papers came out expressing doubt it will find anything.Toxic salty stew:  Space.com summarized a new paper in Science1 that concluded Mars has way too much salt.  Although some earth organisms are adapted to high saline environments, evolutionists believe they descended from less-tolerant progenitors.  Besides, the Mars salt levels are way above the most salt-tolerant creatures on earth.    This is bad news for Martian hunters.  Team member Andrew Knoll (Harvard U) told Space.com, “Our sense has been that while Mars is a lousy environment for supporting life today, long ago it might have more closely resembled Earth.  But this result suggests quite strongly that even as long as four billion years ago, the surface of Mars would have been challenging for life.  No matter how far back we peer into Mars’ history, we may never see a point at which the planet really looked like Earth.”  The paper said that any Martian life “would require biochemistry distinct from any known in even the most robust halophiles on Earth.”  Indeed, the Opportunity rover may have been treading on “the last, best places for life on the early martian surface” even though it, too, was extremely salty.  See also Science Daily’s report.  National Geographic News called any past Martian water a “toxic stew.”  This is an update to our 02/18/2008 entry.Death knell for Mars interior:  Mars has big volcanic domes.  Scientists have assumed it must still have an active core, despite no plate tectonics or global magnetic field.  A new measurement reported in Science2 casts doubt on that supposition.  If the core were fluid, the load of ice at the poles should depress the surface a little.  A shallow radar instrument on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter measured no dent at all.  This, they infer, means that the surface is frozen solid.  “Is Mars geodynamically dead?” Matthias Grott of the German Aerospace Center asked in the same issue of Science.3  He is not convinced this measurement sounds the funeral bell, but the paper “will cause some controversy and stimulate activity as the planetary science community tries to fit their results into our current view of Mars.”Closer to home, the moon continues to challenge humans hoping to return.  Space.com reported more dismal news about moon dust and radiation (see May 19 entry).  Imagine being surrounded by dust that clings to everything but having to keep it out of your shelter.  That would only add to the psychological trauma of loneliness and isolation from God’s green earth.1.  Nicholas J. Tosca, Andrew H. Knoll, and Scott M. McLennan, “Water Activity and the Challenge for Life on Early Mars,” Science, 30 May 2008: Vol. 320. no. 5880, pp. 1204-1207, DOI: 10.1126/science.1155432.2.  Phillips et al, “Mars North Polar Deposits: Stratigraphy, Age, and Geodynamical Response,” Science, 30 May 2008: Vol. 320. no. 5880, pp. 1182-1185, DOI: 10.1126/science.1157546.3.  Matthias Grott, “Is Mars Geodynamically Dead?”, Science, 0 May 2008: Vol. 320. no. 5880, pp. 1171-1172, DOI: 10.1126/science.1159365.The centuries-long myth of life on Mars is about to come to an end.  Let’s see if Phoenix closes the book, or if hopes rise from the fires of disappointment in the last chapter.(Visited 9 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0last_img read more

Priyanka Chopra is 1st Indian on Forbes Highest-paid TV Stars List

first_imgPriyanka Chopra has become the first Indian star to enter the Forbes list of highest paid television actresses in the world, after starring on American series “Quantico”. Related Itemslast_img